The big news: Chelsea find some good form
Willian and Diego Costa scored for Chelsea in their 2-0 win over Hull City on Saturday. The Blues needed the win after their humiliating 3-0 loss to Arsenal last week. The first half saw both sides playing out a goalless 45 minutes. However, in the second, Chelsea upped the ante with the team playing aggressive football and creating opportunities.
Coach Antonio Conte dropped Branislav Ivanovic, who has seen a drop in form off late. Hull never looked in the game after the second half began with the team playing dull football. They never looked threatening and were never seen near the Chelsea box looking to pull a goal back or play for a draw.
Other top stories
- Liverpool were involved in a hard-fought battle with Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium. Swansea drew first blood by scoring within eight minutes by Leroy Fer netting the goal. The second half began with Liverpool looking more organised and that immediately showed effect with Roberto Firmino scoring the equaliser. In the dying minutes of the match, James Milner scored from the penalty spot to give Liverpool the win.
- Bayern Munich finally dropped points this season after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Cologne in their Bundesliga match on Saturday. Joshua Kimmich’s scored to give Bayern the lead but Anthony Modeste equalized in a stunning display of football.
- Adam Lallana will miss England’s next two World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia after injuring his groin during the Liverpool’s 2-1 win at Swansea City. Lallana had scored England’s winner in their opening Group F fixture against Slovakia.
- Edison Cavani scored a brace in Paris Saint-Germain’s 2-0 win over Bordeaux in their Ligue 1 clash on Saturday. Cavani scored twice on Wednesday in the Champions League against Ludogorets and looks his sublime form this season.
- NorthEast United won their first match of the third season of the Indian Super League, after seeing off Kerala Blasters 1-0 in Guwahati on Saturday. After a colourful opening ceremony, NorthEast United dominated proceedings against Kerala, who were playing drab football. Finally in the 54th minute, Nicolas Velez broke the deadlock to give NorthEast the win.
- With a week to go for FC Goa’s first home match in the ISL, the Sports Authority of Goa is waiting to receive the payment of Rs 1.87 crore from the home team for the use of the Nehru stadium. Fans are set to pay extra this season as FC Goa have announced a hike in ticket prices for the season. Seats in the North and South lower stands have been priced at Rs 350, an increase of Rs 100 from last year. The ticket prices have consistently increased with every ISL tournament.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the BRICS Under-17 Football tournament on Saturday. Modi was present along with All India Football Federation President Praful Patel and Minister for Sports and Youth Affairs Vijay Goel. The tournament, which kick-starts in Goa on October 5, will see Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa challenge for the trophy.